Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The bottle that started it all.......


This is the hanging candle holder I purchased from the local JoAnn Fabric store about 5 years ago.
At the time I was more interested in wire wrapping than glass. How quickly that changed! The most difficult challenge was cutting the bottom off of the bottle. I went through two different methods using a cutter to score the bottle, then the hot/cold trying to get it to break along the score line. After many failed attempts I purchased a small wet saw from Harbor Freight. It worked a little better other than I would get soaked every time I used it and it had a small blade so I had to turn the bottle as it cut. Then I finally talked to another glass artist and decided to invest in a full size wet tile saw. I have not regretted that purchase once in the last two years! Although I do have heat in my studio, I do not keep it heated all the time so there is a part of winter I drain the tray on the saw and do not use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment